Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My golf balls, gone missing

Someone forwarded the professor's mayonnaise jar speech to me once again this morning. I had read it years back. When the jar was empty the professor filled it with golf balls and asked his students if it was full- they replied, it was. He went on to pour marbles that filled in the empty spaces and asked again, they said 'twas full now. After which, he poured some sand that filled in the remaining spaces, he received the same response- it was full. Two cups of coffee followed to fill it more before the students finally said, now there's space for no more. Seemingly, the golf balls are a man's primary priorities- family, passions, love, and everything else that can still make a person full in the absence of everything else. The marbles and sand are the other priorities that are good to have, but not indispensable. If one pours the sand and the marbles before the golf balls, all the golf balls wont fit in.

Where are my golf balls? Did I empty my jar and pour the sand and the marbles before? I have, perhaps- my guitar gathers dust, my diary has comfortably enconsed itself in a remote corner of the bookshelf, and wherez my gifted ivory plectrum that I so fondly treasured all my life... I dont quite remember. I do talk to my parents once a while, I do watch silent wildlife documentaries at times, I do open a couple of nondescript trivia Web sites when I assume I have nothing to do, but where are my other golf balls? Gone missing!!!

No comments: